Many of us have a bit of a soft spot for nice cheeses.
But if you are presented with a cheese platter at a party and are not sure what to go for, or wondering what is a good cheese to keep in the fridge for cooking with, look no further.
Today we have the lowdown on the better choices so that you can enjoy cheese while you are losing pregnancy weight.
Our Lose Baby Weight program is not about restrictive eating, cutting out food groups, or eliminating certain things from your diet.
So if you love cheese, you can still enjoy it as part of your healthy eating plan.
You’ve just got to know the difference between your mozzarella and your mascarpone!
When we are comparing, we are using a 30g serving as the basis (that’s about as big as four dice).
Highest and Lowest Calorie Cheeses
- Some of the higher calorie choices include full fat cheddar (120 cal/30g), blue vein (100 cal/30g), brie (110 cal/30g), Parmesan (140 cal/30g) and stilton (125 cal/30g).
- Some lower cal options include cottage cheese (45 cal/30g), cream cheese (83 cal/30g), goat’s cheese (72 cal/30g), haloumi (75 cal/30g) and ricotta (40 cal/30g).
You will see that in our cookbooks and on our recipe pages we use these lower calorie cheeses quite regularly.
A great option is to go for a low fat or light variety of good quality cheeses, which are now readily available at deli counters and supermarkets.
Here are our top choices for cheeses for any occasion:
- For pizza – low fat cheddar, mozzarella or bocconcini. Try our 3 pizzas with 3 simple toppings here.
- For topping pasta – small amount of Parmesan (it’s strong so a little goes a long way). Try this Spaghetti and Lemon and Prawns.
- For using in lasagne or pasta bakes – low fat ricotta. Try our Spinach, Ricotta and Basil Lasagne.
- For cooking on the BBQ – grilled haloumi. Try these Haloumi and Veggie Kebabs.
- To put in a salad – goat’s cheese, reduced fat feta. Try our Watermelon and Feta Salad.
- To use in frittata – light cottage cheese or low fat cheddar. Try our 15 Minute Spinach and Salmon Frittata.
- As a dip or sauce – low fat feta. Try these Spring Onion Fritters with Whipped Feta.
- On toast or rice cakes – light cottage cheese (try it with fresh slices of tomato)
- In a pie – low fat cheddar. Try our Easy Cheesy Fish Pie.
- In a tart – low fat goat’s cheese. Try this Cherry Tomato, Olive and Goats Cheese Tart.
- In a cheesecake – low fat ricotta.
Check out our Calorie Bible for our top 10 list of specific brands of healthy cheeses that are available from the supermarket. You can preview or buy the book here.
GET YOUR 10% DISCOUNT
If you are ready to lose weight then the Lose Baby Weight plans offer a healthy and safe exercise and diet routine and you can get a 10% discount by using code LOYALTY at the checkout
PLUS our BEST SELLING 28 Day Diet & Exercise Plan is available as a 200pg Printed Book and you can get your copy here
Plus our NEW CALORIE BIBLE is now available – get your copy today! Only $19.95 and a must have in your handbag!
Click HERE to see our shop