There seems to be a bit of a salad revolution going on here at Lose Baby Weight, with delicious recipes being posted left, right and centre (or here, here and here). And why wouldn’t there be? A nutrient packed salad is one of the best foods for weight loss and healthy eating.
Unfortunately, there’s a common misconception around the green stuff. Labels like ‘boring’ and ‘tasteless’ get thrown around, making poor old salad seem like the last resort for lunch or dinner, with the only way to improve it being to heap on high fat ingredients like creamy dressings, fried meat and oily croutons.
The problem with these add in’s however is that they suck all the goodness out of the salad and increase the calorie count to rival a burger and chips. Not the best option for healthy eating and weight loss! Thankfully, this easy recipe keeps the yum factor high without compromising on nutrition (or adding sneaky calories).
The combination of chicken, spinach, sweet potato, snow peas, goat’s cheese and super food beetroot, provide a well rounded hit of protein, complex carbohydrates, calcium and antioxidants, making this the perfect choice for busy mums trying to lose baby weight but maintain their energy levels. It’s also the ideal addition to a breastfeeding diet.
- 2 cups of baby spinach leaves
- Half a chicken breast poached, grilled or taken from a BBQ chicken (I use the breast meat from a BBQ chicken. Just make sure you remove all skin).
- A handful of sweet potato chunks roasted or steamed (I cut up a large sweet potato at the beginning of the week for salad filler, drizzle it with olive oil and a sprinkle of cinnamon, then roast for approx. 45min).
- 5 snow pea’s, topped and tailed and cut in half.
- 5 whole baby beetroots (from a can) chopped in half.
- A small wedge of goat’s cheese broken up into smaller pieces.
- Tbsp. olive oil.
- Tbsp. balsamic vinegar.
- Pat baby spinach leaves dry and place in a large bowl.
- Shred chicken breast into small pieces and place on top of spinach.
- Add sweet potato chunks, snow peas and beetroot.
- Sprinkle goat’s cheese on top of other ingredients.
- Combine olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a small jar or whisk together in a cup/small bowl with a fork and drizzle over the top of the salad (I use a ready mixed oil/vinegar dressing, available at Coles and Woolworths)
- NB you can add any vegetables you like to this combination to up the nutrient count. Grated carrot, corn kernels and cucumber slices all work well.
If you are ready to lose weight then the Lose Baby Weight plans offer a healthy and safe exercise and diet routine.
And don’t forget to check out our current promotions and discounts page to see what specials we have on this week on our Healthy Mummy product range.