Most people want to lose weight fast. And most people want a quick fix to do it. But the fact is that is the first mistake on the route to losing weight.
The route to successful and long term weight loss is where the road is healthy, sustainable and one that fits into your life.
Make the road too bumpy, too bendy, too steep or too hard to travel and you will take the nearest and first exit sign.
So our Healthy Mummy philosophy on the Lose Baby Weight plans is all about healthy eating and long term sustainability and below are the most common weight loss mistakes that so many people make.
Have a look if you are making them and don’t worry if you are – they are easy to fix so you can get back on track.
Top 12 Weight Loss Mistakes
Here are the top 12 weight loss mistakes so you can see what not to do and we always advise working out your BMR so you know how many calories you need each day!
- Thinking the weight will just fall off if you take a magic pill or potion. It won’t. Weight loss takes commitment and healthy weight loss should be done over a sensible period of time with the aim to lose 500g-1kg a week. The focus should be on healthy eating, cutting out junk food and exercising. Pills which claim to ‘lose weight fast’ are not healthy, can lead to all kinds of side effects and are not safe in breastfeeding.
- Not eating enough protein. Protein is critical in weight loss. It helps to keep you fuller, build lean muscle and helps to boost the metabolism. You should aim for some protein at every time you eat but it should always be combined with complex carbohydrates, fruit or vegetables to ensure your body is getting a good balance of nutrients that work well together and aid absorption and digestion. See our protein calculator here
- Eating too many carbohydrates. Carbohydrates in the form of vegetables and wholegrain pasta, rice and bread are good (white and processed bread and pasta is bad for weight loss) but you should watch your portion size. Keep to 1/4 of your plate size to carbohydrates and 1/4 protein and 1/2 veggies. If you consumer too many you will be intaking too many calories. See our good carb guide here
- Not getting enough fibre. Fibre and looking after your inner health is critical for helping to lose stomach fat and ensuring adequate nutrient absorption. Fibre helps your body to detox and get rid of the toxins plus helps you feel fuller for longer
- Not drinking enough water. Water is critical for helping to rid the body of waste and toxins and thirst can often be mistook for hunger so always drink water at the first signs of hunger.
- Not eating regularly enough. For the metabolism to work effectively it needs to be refulled every few hours. So make sure if you always have some healthy snacks on hand to snack on and don’t skip meals. See lots of healthy snack ideas here
- Not doing exercise. Weight loss is 80% diet but it is important to still do exercise. The exercise will increase your metabolism, release feel good endorphins, help you tone up and increase weight loss. Aim for a 30 minute fast walk every day plus incorporate exercises that use the larger muscle groups to boost metabolism such as squats, mini push ups or light weights
- Keeping junk food in the house. You need to throw out all junk food as if you keep it in the house there will be moments of weakness and you will binge. Chuck it all out!
- Not being motivated enough. You need to be really honest with yourself and write down why you want to lose the weight. Really think about it and keep your reasons close at hand so when you feel demotivated you look back at your reasons and keep going. Join our Winter Challenge for mega motivation
- Incorrect portion size. You must not have the same portion size as your partner! Your plate should be split into 1/4 wholegrain carbohydrates, 1/4 lean protein and 1/2 veggies. If you watch your portion size you will have your weight under control
- Not eating enough. Many many mums think eating too little is the key to weight loss. This intact can interfere with your metabolism, send your body into starvation mode and actually prevent you losing weight. It is important to eat the right number of calories for your body – read more about this here
- Putting too much pressure on yourself and not being in the right frame of mind. Make sure you are in the right frame of mind before trying to lose weight and when you are ready make sure you set realistic goal – see our advice on how to set goals here
And don’t forget to join you can also take part in our regular 28 Day Weight Loss Challenges
Easter is nearly here and if you are worried about sugar & calorie overload this Easter then NEVER FEAR – the Healthy Mummy is here!
And this April – straight after Easter, we are running our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge SUGAR DETOX SPECIAL
Designed to help you detox from Sugar and lose weight
Get your FREE Sugar Detox recipe sampler below and see why detoxing from sugar – plus losing weight – has never been easier
Results from mums on the 28 Day Challenge
Mums lose an average of 4-6kg (8-13 pounds) on our 28 Day Challenge and below are some of the amazing results from mums JUST LIKE YOU who are already using the 28 Day Challenge and losing tummy fat – make the change and join them today too!
You can see lots of more results and you can join here too
Ash Loses 26kgs (57 pounds) on 7 Challenges
Ash says: “The 28 Day Challenges have changed my life. This was never a diet but a complete lifestyle change for me, and I committed to it 100% I’ve never experienced such a positive experience as I have with this plan IT WORKS. It’s perfectly put together for mums and so manageable.”
Take control of your health and get rid of those unwanted kgs for good.
You won’t regret it!