For some people, baked beans are a bad memory from childhood.
But as with many recipes, when you make them yourself from scratch (instead of coming from a tin) they can be a tasty, wholesome meal that the whole family will love.
We’ve used cannellini and kidney beans here, but you can really use any beans you like.
Spice it up to your family’s taste, or leave the chilli out altogether if you need to.
This dish is delicious as a hot breakfast, lunch or dinner served with some toasted wholegrain rolls.
You might like some cheese melted over the top, or perhaps a soft boiled egg on the side.
This dish freezes well, so why not freeze a few individual portions to defrost for a hot breakfast?
And unlike the tinned variety, it has no added sugars and much less salt.
It’s a super easy recipe that you might find that you really love. Give it a go!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 bacon rashers, chopped, rind and fat removed
- 1 large red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 small red chilli (optional), finely chopped
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 700g jar of tomato passata
- ¾ cup vegetable stock
- 400g can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 400g can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley leaves, to serve
- Preheat your slow cooker to low.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over med/high heat.
- Add the bacon, onion, carrot and chilli and cook for around 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for a further minute, stirring constantly.
- Place in the slow cooker along with the sauce, stock and beans.
- Give it all a good stir and cook with the lid on for 8 hours on low.
- Check the seasoning and stir well before serving with the fresh parsley leaves.
Serves: 6. Calories per serve: 185.
Every month on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge, we run a BRAND NEW 28 Day Menu with a different theme so you NEVER get bored!
Next months theme is the SLOW COOKING AND ONE POT WINTER WONDERS! – Perfect for the chilly winter weather, SUPER easy to whip up and still just as healthy.
If you are curious about the 28 Day Challenge recipes then we have a 28 Day Challenge recipe pack for you to try HERE.
Find a delicious range of healthy recipes, packed full of energy boosting ingredients and nutrients together with easy to achieve exercise.