You’ve done the hard work, you’ve lost your pregnancy weight and now you’re wondering, “How do I keep the weight off?”
A lot of people feel its harder to maintain weight loss than lose the initial losing of the pregnancy weight. They worry they won’t know how much food to eat ongoing.
The advantage with the healthy mummy products and Lose Baby Weight weight loss program is that you can still incorporate them into your every day diet as they are so highly nutritious, quick and easy to make.
Plus the 28 Day Plan shows you healthy foods to make which are family friendly so you are educating yourself every day whilst on the plan so you understand food and portion control better – this means when you lose your pregnancy weight you are then armed with better knowledge on keeping it off.
My advice is not to worry too much about calories. If you are eating a balanced diet and getting moderate exercise, the following will help you stay on the right track.
Top tips to maintain your weight loss
- Make sure you include plenty of fibre in your diet – around 30 grams per day, this will keep your bowels regular and tummy flatter!
- Include enough protein in your diet – about 1 gram per kilo of body weight, protein takes longer to digest than carbs, and will help to keep your blood sugar levels down. Use the healthy mummy protein smoothies as a snack daily.
- Don’t be afraid of carbs – they are your bodies preferred source of energy. Stick to Complex or Low GI Carbs including Whole grains, so you will feel fuller for longer and less likely to overeat.
- Eat plenty of dark leafy greens for liver health. Your liver is the main organ involved in Fat Metabolism, so make sure you look after it. Don’t forget your coloured fruits and vegetables as they are full of antioxidants and healthy nutrients.
- Good fats are essential in moderation – think Avocado, Nuts and Seeds, Greek or Kefir Style Yoghurt, Chia Seeds, Tahini, Flaxseed Oil, and The Healthy Mummy Fish Oils. Good fats actually increase satiety and help absorb other nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E & K.
- Water, water, water – don’t forget to drink water! Around 3% of your body weight is an ideal amount. You will be well hydrated, have less fluid retention, and you will eat significantly less. Try herbal teas or sparkling mineral water with a slice or orange, lemon or lime if you’re not into still water.
- Move your body. Pick an activity you enjoy and incorporate it at least least 3 times per week. There are plenty of exercise groups here to look at on the Lose Baby Weight page and you can take your little one with you too! Click here to find one in your state. If you can’t get out to exercise, you could always go for walks or get hold of exercise DVDs such as Zumba and also check out the exercise videos from the Lose Baby Weight Pilates trainer
- Get a good night sleep. Sleeping rebalances your hormones such as Leptin – the hormone that creates satiety after you eat and Ghrelin – the hormone which stimulates your appetite. If you don’t get enough sleep these hormones can become out of whack. I sympathize that its not always easy to get a good nights sleep with a toddler or new baby, just try to get as much as you can during the day or night.
- Look at your child/children to reaffirm your new healthy lifestyle and that you will be setting a great example for them to look up to in the future.
Most of all, keep interacting with the Lose Baby Weight community for further tips and ongoing support
Written by Elisha Danine, Nutritionist.
If you are ready to lose weight then the Lose Baby Weight plans offer a healthy and safe exercise and diet routine. And don’t forget to check out our current promotions and discounts page to see what specials we have on this week on our Healthy Mummy product range