Eggplants are an excellent food to include in your healthy eating plan when you want to lose pregnancy weight.
Low in calories and high in fibre, these earthy vegetables taste great when baked, added to healthy stir fries or in casseroles and stews.
Featuring mushrooms, eggplant, and fresh cherry tomatoes, this recipe for Healthy Stuffed Eggplant gives you a few servings of vegetables in one hit, and will prove popular with partners and kids alike.
- 2 medium eggplants, halved
- 150 grams of reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 15 button mushrooms, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Cracked pepper
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped continental parsley
- Quarter of a lemon
- Use mozzarella cheese instead of cheddar
- Replace the mushrooms with chopped capsicum, squash or zucchini
- Add a small can of corn to the stuffing
- Sprinkle a little dried oregano on top instead of the parsley
- Take the eggplant halves, brush with olive oil, top with cracked pepper and cook (skin down) for 20-25 minutes on a baking tray in an oven heated to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl combined the cheese, mushrooms, spring onions, cumin and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in bowl.
- Once the eggplants are cooked, remove from the oven and scoop half of the flesh out of the eggplant, and chop the flesh.
- Mix the chopped flesh of the eggplant with the cheese and mushroom mixture, and spoon back into the hollows of the eggplant.
- Arrange the cherry tomatoes face down on top of the stuffed eggplants.
- Return the eggplants to the hot oven and cook for another 20 minutes on a lowered heat of 180 degrees Celsius.
- Once cooked, remove from oven and serve with a squeeze of lemon and some chopped parsley on top.
Serves: 4. Calories per serve: 215