Sweet treats like banana bread, cakes and muffins aren’t included in many weight loss plans because they are usually high in calories, refined sugar and preservatives.
This easy recipe for Wholemeal Pumpkin & Walnut Loaf is suitable to include in your healthy eating plan because it is made from natural, nutritious ingredients.
This loaf will keep well if stored in an airtight container, so cook on a Sunday night to have a few days worth of healthy snacks to add to school lunch boxes or have on hand for afternoon tea.
If you prefer your treats served warm, just heat up for 20 seconds in the microwave and serve with a dollop of Greek Yoghurt or a thin layer of light cream cheese spread.
- Quarter of a cup of coconut oil (melted so it’s in liquid form)
- Quarter of a cup of reduced-fat Greek yoghurt
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- Half cup honey
- Half cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup pureed, cooked pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Half teaspoon salt
- Half teaspoon of cinnamon
- Half teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 and a half cups plain wholemeal flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Use chopped almonds or brazil nuts instead of walnuts
- Add a third of a cup of shredded coconut to the batter before cooking
- Use agave syrup instead of honey
- Add a few tablespoons of chia seeds for added omega-3 fatty acids
- Instead of a loaf pan, use a muffin tin to make healthy muffins
- Preheat an oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and baking soda.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add in the eggs, coconut oil, honey, yoghurt and vanilla essence, and mix with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Next, add in the pureed pumpkin, mashed banana and nuts and combine with the wooden spoon.
- Grease a loaf pan with a little coconut oil, then carefully pour in the batter evenly.
- Scatter a few pumpkin seeds on top of the batter.
- Bake in the hot oven for 30-35 minutes. Check to see if the loaf is ready by gently touching the top, if it feels firm and springs back, then the loaf is ready. If the top is soft to touch or wobbly, continue to bake for another 5 minutes until ready.