There is something very satisfying about pulling a tray of freshly baked scones from the oven.
You can feel even more satisfied knowing that you are making a healthy version of the classic recipe by using wholemeal flour instead of traditional white flour.
Another great thing about this recipe is that the sweetness comes from the dates (rather than sugar); and then the extra flavour is from the cinnamon and orange zest.
These scones are perfect for a picnic, afternoon tea, or for weekday lunch boxes for adults and kids alike.
These scones are best eaten on the day they are made, but will store well in an air tight container for several days (if there are any left).
This recipe makes 8 scones – but you can easily make them smaller if you’d like to give them to the kids. Great for the lunchbox.
- 2 cups plain wholemeal flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 50g cold butter, chopped into cubes
- 1 cup chopped dates
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup of milk
- Heat your oven to 220°C and line a tray with baking paper. Sprinkle a little bit of flour on the tray.
- In a large bowl, place the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Use your fingers to rub the butter into the flour until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs (this can take a few minutes).
- Add in the dates, orange zest and then half of the milk, adding more as you go (you may not need all of it).
- Mix the dough very lightly with a butter knife until just combined. It may be a little sticky but that’s OK. Don’t over work the dough or the scones will be tough.
- Place your dough onto your tray and bring it together into a circular shape. Flatten it slightly and then use a sharp knife to cut it into 8 wedges.
- Spread out the dough wedges so that they aren’t touching each other.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Serve immediately while still warm.
Serves: 8. Calories per serve: 255.
Every month on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge, we run a BRAND NEW 28 Day Menu with a different theme so you NEVER get bored!
Next month’s theme is WINTER! – Perfect for the chilly weather, SUPER easy to whip up and still just as healthy.
If you are curious about the 28 Day Challenge recipes then we have a 28 Day Challenge recipe pack for you to try HERE.
Find a delicious range of healthy recipes, packed full of energy boosting ingredients and nutrients together with easy to achieve exercise.