When it comes to eating for health and weight loss, planning your meals is important. Knowing what you are going to eat, or at least having a rough idea, means that you’ll usually have the necessary ingredients to hand to whip up something nutritious. Having a couple of simple options also means that you’re less likely to have to rely on high calorie convenience meals or expensive (and often less than weight loss friendly) take away.
As you continue along the weight loss path, you’ll become better at selecting the right foods to eat, along with the best ways to cook and serve them. What can start out as being a little time consuming and sometimes confusing will soon become second nature and you’ll often find that you end up with a couple of fail-safe meal options for those days and nights when you’re too busy/tired to cook something more time consuming or elaborate.
In our house, that fail-safe, easy meal is white fish fillets with lemon and herbs and salad. We also sometimes add sweet potato wedges. Super quick and simple to prepare, it’s also extremely cost effective and delicious. Eating fish a couple of times a week is great for weight loss due to it being high in protein and very low in calories. Fish fillets are also packed full of omega-3 fatty acids and other vitamins and minerals.
Fish has even been found to potentially reduce the risk of developing certain diseases and disorders, including heart disease, asthma, diabetes, dementia and depression. Pregnant women are also recommended to eat fish regularly due to the benefits for their unborn baby.
This simple dish lightly marinates the white fish fillets in fresh herbs and lemon juice for plenty of flavour without extra calories, salt or sugar. The sweet potato wedges are drizzled olive and coconut oil for a healthy take on your typical chips or fries. All in all, this meal can be prepared and cooked in under an hour.
- 4 firm white fish fillets (basa, perch or whiting work well)
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut into chunks or ‘chips’
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tbsp fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Sprinkle of sea salt flakes
- 2 cups salad leaves
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Toss the sweet potato with 1tbsp olive oil, the coconut oil and sea salt flakes
- Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper and into the oven
- Roast for 20 minutes before turning chunks and roasting for another 20 minutes until golden.
- While potatoes are roasting, place fish fillets in a large bowl
- Add herbs, garlic and lemon and ensure fish is completely coated in the mix.
- When potatoes are almost finished baking, heat remaining olive oil in a large frypan over medium/high heat.
- Lightly pan fry the fish fillets for 4-5 minutes per side or until golden and cooked through.
- Serve fish with sweet potato wedges and a green salad.
Makes 4 servings – Cal per serve – 420
GET YOUR 10% DISCOUNT
If you are ready to lose weight then the Lose Baby Weight plans offer a healthy and safe exercise and diet routine and you can get a 10% discount by using code LOYALTY at the checkout.