There are so many reasons to add herbs to our healthy eating meals including:
1. It makes them taste better,
2. It means we don’t need to add excess salt
Herbs don’t contain calories But did you know that herbs can also help us lose weight?
The following herbs and spices have these added benefits. Now that the weather is warm it may be a good time to plant that herb garden you’ve always dreamed of!
Our top pick of herbs and spices are:
- Parsley – improves digestion and helps digest the food you eat. The more food you burn the less you will store as body fat.
- Holy Basil – Helps suppress your appetite and kill those cravings! It is often used in tonics for digestion and is known to reduce and even prevent indigestion. Consuming basil regularly in the diet can also help prevent acid reflux.
- Garlic Cloves – are one of the thermogenic weight loss herbs and spices, firing up the metabolic furnace and stimulating digestion. Use sparingly as they are strong tasting.
- Cardamon – this spice does it all! It accelerates metabolism, burns fat and helps reduce blood cholesterol levels. Cardamom also has detoxification properties. Get some in your chai tea mix.
- Black Pepper – The chemical piperine, present in black pepper, causes the spiciness. Piperine stimulates blood flow, increasing metabolism and burning fat, it also increases hydrochloric acid secretion in the stomach and therefore helps digestion.
- Nutmeg – Ground nutmeg is high in fibre, which can help you feel more full when cutting down on calories. It is also an excellent source of the mineral manganese, which is a catalyst for breaking down fats and cholesterol, an important process in losing weight. There is no evidence as to whether Nutmeg is safe in breastfeeding so if in doubt avoid.
- Cinnamon – causes weight loss by heating up the body and stabilizing blood sugar by making cells more responsive to insulin. Try incorporating 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of cinnamon in your diet every day.
- Rosemary – Helps burn stored fat. According to a Nestle Research Center study, rosemary extract was able to inhibit weight gain in a study done on mice, possibly because of rosemary extract’s ability to inhibit lipase activity. Lipase is an enzyme that the body uses to break down fats. Rosemary extract may make you feel fuller by delaying the digestion of fats, amazing!
- Thyme – this herb has diuretic properties, which allow you to detoxify your body, naturally treat fluid retention and weight loss. Drink it as a tea for best results!
Written by Elisha Danine ~ Nutritionist
GET YOUR 10% DISCOUNT
If you are ready to lose weight then the Lose Baby Weight plans offer a healthy and safe exercise and diet routine and you can get a 10% discount by using code LOYALTY at the checkout
PLUS our BEST SELLING 28 Day Diet & Exercise Plan has now launched as an 200pg Printed Book and you can get your copy HERE
Click HERE to see our shop