Cutting back on the sweet stuff is one of the buzz topics at the moment. when it comes to healthy eating and weight loss. It is estimated that the average Australian consumes up to 20 teaspoons of sugar in a single day (there is approximately 4.2g of sugar in one tsp so that is equal to about 84g of sugar).
The World Health Organisation has recently advised that halving the amount of sugar in our diets is the way to go, decreasing that 20 odd teaspoons down to a maximum of 10. Cutting things like soft drinks, lollies and chocolate, highly processed and refined packaged foods and the other obvious culprits is an easy way to start reducing your intake.
Checking your food labels and locating the amount of sugar per 100g will also help you make better choices when it comes to buying foods like yoghurt, pre-made sauces and even bread as you’ll often find that some brands add a lot more than others.
So although we don’t like to obsess about food groups at Lose Baby Weight and demonise foods, if you are eating a lot of processed white sugar (and we don’t mean natural sugars found in foods), it is a good idea to cut back where you can as too much is not good for you.
And today, we are sharing two of our favourite yummy treats that are refined sugar free, healthy and totally delicious, meaning you can have your dessert, lose baby weight AND steer clear of added sugar!
Decadent Peppermint Chocolate Mousse
There’s nothing like a pot of chocolate mousse to finish off a meal. This version is sugar free, dairy free and packed with healthy fats. It’s delicious on its own or as a topping for another dessert creation.
- 1 very ripe avocado, mashed
- 1/2 can light coconut cream (use the thickened part on top)
- 1/2 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup rice bran syrup, raw honey or maple syrup (if you want the recipe to be mainly fructose free, choose rice bran syrup)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds, soaked in water till a gel forms
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pure peppermint essence (make sure it’s food grade not just an essential oil for burning)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Place the avocado, coconut cream, banana, cocoa, vanilla, peppermint and cinnamon in a blender or food processor
- Switch on to low and gently start combining
- Drizzle in the rice bran syrup/honey/maple syrup slowly as the mixture begins to thicken
- Remove from blender/processor and either divide amongst serving dishes or place in a larger bowl and refrigerate.
Makes 10 servings (serving size 3 tbsp) – Cal per serve 45
Peanut Butter Nice-Cream
Mmmm there’s something about ice-cream that makes it very hard to resist! This healthier version of one of our favourite treats uses yoghurt instead of the usual oodles of cream for a rich, delicious dessert.
- 2 cups plain yoghurt (check the labels on the carton for the best option. We like Jalna)
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/3 cup rice bran syrup, raw honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup skim milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1/2 frozen, very ripe banana, cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients in a high powdered blender or food processor and whip until very smooth.
- If you have an ice-cream maker, transfer mixture into it and follow manufacturers directions.
- If you don’t have an ice-cream maker, transfer to a large bowl and place into the freezer. Stir every 30-45 minutes for 2-3 hours or until sufficiently thick and creamy
Makes 6 servings – Serving size 1/2 cup – Cal per serve 160
GET YOUR 10% DISCOUNT
If you are ready to lose weight then the Lose Baby Weight plans offer a healthy and safe exercise and diet routine and you can get a 10% discount by using code LOYALTY at the checkout
PLUS our BEST SELLING 28 Day Diet & Exercise Plan is available as a 200pg Printed Book and you can get your copy here
Plus our NEW CALORIE BIBLE is now available – get your copy today! Only $19.95 and a must have in your handbag!
Click HERE to see our shop