Cooking for fussy toddlers can be difficult when you’re trying to follow a healthy eating plan to lose pregnancy weight.
Chicken nuggets are a favourite with most children, however nuggets bought from fast food restaurants are often deep fried and filled with a huge amount of empty calories.
Making your own chicken nuggets is easy, and by baking them you can keep the calories to a minimum.
Try this recipe for Toddler Friendly Baked Chicken Nuggets, served with a side of fresh, crunchy celery and home made yoghurt aioli – it’s toddler and adult approved!
- 2 large skinless chicken breasts
- Half cup wholemeal breadcrumbs
- Quarter cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 4 stalks celery, chopped into large pieces
- Half cup reduced fat Greek yoghurt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice of one lemon
- Cracked pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat an oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
- To make the aioli, simply combine the yoghurt, lemon juice, garlic and cracked pepper in a small bowl. Mix together with a whisk to ensure all the ingredients are well combined, then set aside.
- Cut the chicken breast into nugget sized pieces, then put in a bowl with the olive oil and turn to coat, ensuring that the chicken pieces are coated well.
- Combine the parmesan, bread crumbs and cracked pepper in another large bowl.
- Next, coat the chicken pieces in the breadcrumbs by placing the chicken pieces individually within the breadcrumbs.
- Once the chicken nuggets are covered in breadcrumbs, transfer the chicken nuggets to a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Lightly spray the nuggets with olive oil spray, then cook in the oven for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, turn the nuggets with tongs and cook on the other side for 8-10 minutes.
- Once crispy and golden, serve the nuggets with the yoghurt aioli and crunchy pieces of celery.
Serves: 4. Calories per serve: 360
Need to stock up on Healthy Mummy Smoothies? Then see our shop here
And join our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenges here