Facts about the liver
The liver is said to be the largest organ in the body that performs various functions. It filters everything that passes through the body – medicine, toxins, undigested foods, bacteria, alcohol, and viruses.
It also converts sugar to starch. Liver detoxifies the body by identifying harmful toxins that need to be eliminated. An unstable liver cannot process substances properly. Thus, water retention occurs. When water retention happens, the fluid is not distributed properly to the cells and tissues, causing water to accumulate and the body to swell.
Foods to cleanse the liver
Because of the liver’s workload, it can malfunction when not given proper care. It can result to a number of problems due to the build up of toxins.
Signs of a malfunctioned liver include weight gain, indigestion, headaches, bowel problems, and skin conditions such as psoriasis, eczema, and skin rashes.
Cleansing the liver naturally is important. Eating healthy foods can enhance the liver function resulting to increase in energy. They promote the detoxification process and protect the liver during the whole process. Foods that are healthy for the liver include the following:
- Garlic contains allicin and selenium that helps activate the liver enzymes. These liver enzymes are the ones responsible in eliminating toxins.
- Broccoli contains glucosinolates that increase enzyme production in the liver. These enzymes eliminate carcinogens resulting to a lower risk of exposure to cancer.
- Lemons contain Vitamin C which helps in cleansing the liver. It also fuels that production of bile that is needed in cleansing the stomach and promoting regular bowel movement.
- Beetroot, together with carrots, are rich in flavonoids and beta-carotene. It purifies the blood and absorbs heavy metals. Beets boost the general function of the liver.
- Apples are high in pectin that binds to heavy metals in the body, specifically the colon, making it easier for excretion process to take place.
- Walnuts are rich in amino acid arginine that assists the liver in detoxifying ammonia. They are also rich in glutathione which supports normal cleansing actions of the liver.
- Grains are high in Vitamin B complex that helps in promoting fat metabolization and liver decongestion.
The liver and weight loss
Since the liver is the master filter of our body, malfunctioning of this organ can lead to series of problems and complications. One of the problems that one may encounter would be weight gain. The liver plays an important role in breaking down fats.
Accumulation of fats in the liver causes obesity. If you plan to lose weight, it is important that you take in foods that can detoxify your liver. Avoid excessive intake of alcohol which can lead to another serious problem which is cirrhosis. By keeping the liver healthy, it is able to properly filter the substances that go through it. Moreover, water retention, build up of fats, and body swelling are prevented.
If you are ready to lose weight then the Lose Baby Weight plans offer a healthy and safe exercise and diet routine and you can get a 10% discount by using code LOYALTY at the checkout.