For a fun and delicious healthy eating Chinese style finger food that the family will love, these buns are a must try.
Steaming food is a great healthy eating way to ensure the moisture stays locked in, without the need for any oil or butter.
Try serving with a mixture of soy sauce and chopped fresh chilli.
Feel free to change up the contents of the buns according to what you have on hand.
- 400ml tin of light coconut milk
- 500g wholemeal self raising flour
- ½ a small round cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 small carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 spring onions, finely diced
- ¼ cup coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Thumb sized piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Steam the cabbage and carrot for 2 minutes and then set aside to drain.
- Combine the spring oninons, coriander, ginger, oyster sauce and soy in a large bowl, then add the cabbage and carrot. Mix well.
- Place the coconut milk and flour into a food processor and bring together until it forms a dough.
- Break the dough apart into 10 balls and flatten each with your hand.
- Place spoonfuls of the mixture into the centre of the balls.
- Gather the dough around the mixture, forming a peak at the top and sealing well.
- Line a bamboo steamer with baking paper and slice a few slits with scissors.
- Steam the buns over a saucepan of simmering water for 15-20 minutes.