As a new mum, finding time to exercise can be a really exhausting task and it can also hold you back in your plans to lose baby weight.
It is a proven fact that post pregnancy mums who exercise have a higher chance of feeling better about themselves and have higher energy levels compared to mums who don’t keep up a regular exercise regimen.
Of course, exercising also helps you lose belly fat and tone up your tummy to help you get back in your post pregnancy jeans! The best way to get started with your exercise plans is to do light stretching exercises that can be performed every day in the convenience of your own home.
Here are a few stretching exercises that we have picked to help you strengthen muscles before you start doing heavier workouts.
- Back stretches are good for keeping your back muscles loose and it also helps you to reduce lower back pain.
- Start by lying face down on a matt and straighten your legs whilst keeping them together.
- Then, gently place your palms on the floor right above your shoulder with your elbows bent.
- Straighten your arms and make sure that you only lift up your upper body.
- At the same time, stretch your chin up by looking towards the ceiling.
- Hold this position for about 5 seconds. Repeat another 4 -5 times until you feel that your back is stretched out.
The Pelvic Tilt
- Lie down with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Make sure your feet are firmly planted to the ground.
- Exhale and tilt your pelvis upwards, and tighten your abdominal and buttock muscles.
- Gently flatten your lower back against the floor and hold to a count of 5.
- Inhale as you release and relax your spine.
- You can repeat these exercises 4-5 times until you are satisfied.
- This exercise is good for stretching and toning your leg muscles whilst strengthening the perineal muscle.
- Balance and steady yourself by placing your hands on a table or counter, or against a wall.
- Squat down and stay in that position for 1 minute. Repeat this 10 times throughout the day at your own leisure.
- This exercise is very simple to do and it gives your inner thighs a good stretch whilst taking pressure off your lower back.
- Sit down on the floor with your back against a flat surface and bend your knees to form a position similar to a cross-legged position.
- When your knees are bent make sure that your feet are kept together, sole to sole.
- Then grasp your ankle and gently pull your feet towards your body.
- Now, all you need to do is to see how far you can stretch your knees towards the floor. Don’t force it too much till it hurts.
When you are ready to get started on a detailed exercise plan to lose baby weight, don’t hesitate to have a look at our 28 Day Diet & Exercise Plan! Also, don’t forget to check out our current promotions and discounts page to see what specials we have on this week on our Healthy Mummy product range.