It’s important to include family friendly, budget meals into your healthy eating plan as often as possible, as cooking for a family on a limited budget or time can be difficult, often leading to poor dietary choices like calorie laden takeaways.
Having a range of easy-to-make, low calorie, high nutrition recipes to prepare on short notice is a good way to ensure that you continue to lose pregnancy weight while cooking for the whole family.
This super easy recipe for tasty Pea, Cheese and Lemon Fritters is a good budget-friendly meal option that will suit families with toddlers and fussy eaters.
And don’t forget – if you are too busy to cook or prepare a lunch our Healthy Mummy Smoothies make a tasty, healthy, fast and convenient alternative – and you can click here to see why our smoothies are so different to others on the market.
- 225 grams cooked frozen peas, drained
- 120 grams reduced-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 4 tbsp plain wholemeal flour
- Juice and zest from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 250 grams reduced fat Greek yoghurt
- Place the peas in a large bowl and add the flour, lemon zest, cheese, egg, and mint.
- Use your hands to combine well and form into small, flat fritters.
- Heat a large fry pan over medium heat and add the 1 tbsp of the olive oil.
- Cook half the fritters, turning after a couple of minutes.
- Once the fritters are crispy and golden brown remove from heat and set aide on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Add second tbsp of oil to the pan and cook remaining fritters.
- Meanwhile, mix the lemon juice into the yoghurt.
- Serve the fritters with the lemony yoghurt as a dipping sauce.
Serves: 4 (3 fritters each). Calories per serve: 215