Hands up who loves comfort food? These meatballs are a big hit at our house at the moment, and not just for the adults. Many kids love meatballs too, so these are a great family meal.
Lamb pairs well with fresh mint and the cabbage is a great way to bulk up the meatballs instead of using the traditional breadcrumbs.
There’s no need to just stick to the traditional spaghetti to serve these meatballs. If you’d like to try something new, why not try serving them with:
- Wholegrain cous cous
- Brown rice
- Steamed green beans and spinach
- A crisp green salad
- Crunchy coleslaw
- 200g white cabbage, very finely chopped
- 450g lean minced lamb
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely sliced
- ½ tsp allspice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 400g tin of diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- Small handful of fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- Extra mint leaves (or you could use fresh basil or parsley), to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Steam the cabbage for 3 minutes until softened.
- Place the cabbage into a large bowl with the lamb, onion, allspice and seasoning, mix well.
- Wet your hands and shape the mixture into around 20 small meatballs. Place into an ovenproof dish.
- Mix the tomatoes, bay leaf and mint in a small bowl. Pour over the meatballs.
- Cover and bake for one hour until cooked through.
- Serve with a sprinkling of extra mint leaves, basil or parsley.
Serves: 4. Calories per serve: 205.
Need to stock up on Healthy Mummy Smoothies? Then see our shop here
And join our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenges here