Want to brighten up your breakfast? Wake up your smoothie? Add a hint of the exotic to your favourite yoghurt?
Add a mango! Mangoes are sweet, slightly sour fruits that contain lots and lots of flavour – and they are just the right balance of sweet and sour so that you can pop them into savoury salads or whiz them into your favourite dessert.
Mangoes are incredibly good for you, too – and not just because they are low in calories. Mangoes contain lots of vitamin A, meaning that eating them could boost eye health, and they also contain flavonoids, which are anti-oxidants that have the potential to fight cancer.
They are also packed with dietary fibre, which will help to improve bowel health by improving digestion. Dietary fibre also boosts weight loss, because your body cannot digest it – so it will fill you up, but because you have to expel it, you don’t take in many calories from it. Clever, eh?
They are also low in calories too – one medium mango contains 135 calories. To give you some mango inspiration, we’ve come up with a delicious mango pud recipe.
Mango, Oat and Yoghurt Smoothie
Mangoes are layered with toasted honeyed oats and creamy yoghurt in this simple recipe.
- 2 mangoes
- 50g plain rolled oats
- 2 tbsp. runny honey
- 4 x tbsp of Healthy Mummy Smoothie
- 2 tbsp. orange juice
- 200g yoghurt, non-fat, whatever flavour you like
- Slice mangoes in half lengthways around the stone. Twist either side of the fruit until the two halves come apart, then carefully insert your knife into the stone to and remove. Score the mango flesh into slivers, then scoop out of the skin. Leave to sit in orange juice.
- Heat a frying pan. Add the oats and fry until golden. Add the runny honey and toss to combine and until slightly caramelised.
- Mix the healthy mummy smoothie mix into the yoghurt then arrange the yoghurt mango and oats in layers in small glasses to serve.
Recipe serves 4. Calories per serving: 224.
If you are ready to lose weight then the Lose Baby Weight plans offer a healthy and safe exercise and diet routine or alternatively you can join the 28 Day Weight loss Challenge
And don’t forget to check out our current promotions and discounts page to see what specials we have on this week on our Healthy Mummy product range