As the weather warms up it can be tempting to grab an icy treat from the freezer at the corner shop.
These commercial ice blocks tend to be packed with sugar, and many that claim to be ‘fruit flavoured’ contain only 5-20% actual fruit. Not ideal when you are trying to eat well and lose weight.
But what if you could make your own delicious ice blocks at home with natural ingredients, no added sugar and no additives whatsoever?
Well you can with our simple icy pole recipe.
The choice is yours whether you choose to moisten your ingredients with water, yoghurt or coconut milk. Either way you’ll be enjoying some refreshing fruity goodness in no time at all.
All you need are some ice block moulds which are available at most discount stores.
Alternatively you could use some small plastic cups and pop the sticks in after they have been in the freezer for 2 hours. Once frozen, run the bottoms of the cups under the tap to help loosen them and they should pop right out.
Why not keep some of these delicious treats in the freezer for a hot day and enjoy with the family?
- 1 large mango, peeled and chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ cup water OR Greek yoghurt OR coconut milk
- ½ cup strawberries, chopped
- Place the mango, lime juice and water into a blender and puree until smooth.
- Throw the chopped strawberries in (without blending) just before pouring the mixture into the moulds.
- Freeze overnight or until set.
Makes: 4 depending on size of moulds.
Calories per serve:
- 42 using water
- 69 using fat free Greek yoghurt
- 92 using coconut milk