I have to admit I LOVE a good apple pie or apple crumble but these are usually a no go if you are trying to watch your weight or follow a healthy eating plan.
But at Lose Baby Weight, we believe that treats in moderation are ok – provide you don’t over do it and providing you choose to make a healthier version of the treat.
So below you will find our healthier version of apple pie which we totally love – especially served with some frozen yoghurt – it is too good not to try!
Low Fat Apple Pie
Using filo pastry in place of traditional puff pastry helps to keep this pie low in calories and fat, whilst the cinnamon and nutmeg lend a lovely hint of spice. It’s sweetened with honey making it a much healthier choice
- 6 x filo pastry sheets
- 5 medium apples
- ¼ cup runny honey
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. warm water
- 1 tbsp. rice flour or corn starch
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 175C. Peel, core and thinly slice the apples. Combine the apples in a bowl with the nutmeg, cinnamon, rice flour and lemon juice. Either place into the microwave or tip into a saucepan and cook until the apples are slightly softened, around 3-4 minutes. Leave to cool.
- Spray a medium square pie plate (you could use a circular plate) with cooking spray. Combine the honey and warm water in a bowl. Brush one sheet of filo with the honey mixture and lay into the pie plate, pushing into the edges, letting the pastry hang over the sides of the pie plate.
- Brush a second sheet of filo with the honey mixture and lay over the top of the first in the opposite direction so you have a cross shape, pushing the pastry into the edges of the pie plate, again letting it hang over the sides.
- Brush another sheet of filo with the honey mixture and lay it diagonally across the first two sheets. Brush the remaining sheets of filo with the honey mixture and lay them diagonally at different angles to the first sheets of filo, so that you’ve covered the bottom of the pie plate and there are no holes or gaps anywhere in the pastry. Pile the apple mixture onto the filo sheets and then gather the filo sheets up and over the apple mixture, scrunching at the top if desired. You could leave some of the fruit exposed if you prefer.
- Bake the pie for 15-20 minutes or until the filo is golden brown and the apple filling soft and tender.