Stock is a standard ingredient in many of our Lose Baby Weight meals.
While most people have the powder or cubes in the pantry (and there are some pretty good pre-made stocks that you can buy at the supermarket) it is pretty much a given that home-made stock always tastes best.
Plus you can avoid excess salt which is a bit of a trademark of most commercial varieties.
Today we will give you a quick and easy recipe for making your own vegetable stock.
As well as the usual suspects for using stock – soups, casseroles, risottos – here are some other ideas for using home made stock:
- Instead of putting oil in a pan, place a few tablespoons of stock in the pan and use it to add flavour to your stir fried vegetables
- Use stock instead of water when making cous cous
- Cook your quinoa or rice in stock
- Use it as a broth for noodles
- Use it to poach chicken breast
- Instead of plain water, use stock when making gravy
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 sticks of celery
- 1 tsp salt
- 12 black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- A few sprigs of parsley
- 2 litres water
Place all ingredients in a large saucepan.
Bring to the boil, and then skim the surface with a slotted spoon.
Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for one hour.
Strain the stock through a fine sieve.
Allow it to cool and then divide into portions (or use ice cube trays).
Place in the fridge or freezer until required.
Makes 2L. Total calories 165.
GET YOUR 10% DISCOUNT
If you are ready to lose weight then the Lose Baby Weight plans offer a healthy and safe exercise and diet routine and you can get a 10% discount by using code LOYALTY at the checkout
PLUS our BEST SELLING 28 Day Diet & Exercise Plan has now launched as an 84pg Printed Book and you can get your copy here
Click HERE to see our shop