Sometimes, you just can’t beat a crunchy, salty snack. Problem is, these aren’t always the best types of foods to be consuming when trying to lose weight and eat healthily.
If you’re like me and have more of a savoury than a sweet tooth, treats like potato chips are hard to pass up, especially when cravings strike.
Losing weight shouldn’t be about deprivation. In fact, research has found that extremely strict, very low calorie diets, inevitably end up causing more weight gain than weight loss, along with huge levels of psychological stress that impact our levels of health and wellbeing.
Of course, we don’t want to eat a diet consisting of high calorie, high salt, high sugar foods all the time, but still being able to indulge in healthy versions of those foods that you like best is the key to long term, sustained weight loss.
These veggie chips came about when we was looking for something to scoop up my favourite dip and to snack on in the afternoons at work. Made solely from fresh veggies, good quality olive oil and sea salt and there are no nasties present. Being baked, not fried, means that the calorie and fat count is kept low.
- 2 baby beetroots, peeled and washed
- 1/2 bunch of kale, washed and leaves removed from stem
- 1 small sweet potato, washed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Using a very sharp knife, slice the sweet potato and beetroot into thin sliced (round). The thinner you can manage, the better
- Tear the kale leaves into medium sized chunks
- Place all veggies into a bowl and drizzle over olive oil
- Sprinkle on salt and toss to combine well
- Line a baking tray with baking paper
- Place veggies, evenly spaced, onto the tray
- Slide into the oven
- After 10 minutes, flip everything over and return to the oven
- Allow to cook for another 10 to 15 minutes or until crispy (not burnt)
- When your desired crispiness is achieved, turn off oven and allow chips to remain inside for approx 30 min. This will help them to further crisp up.
Makes 2 small bowls – Cal per bowl 170
Love the Healthy Mummy team xx