Sent in by Kathryn Loef
I don’t know about you, but I love coleslaw! However, I mostly avoid it, because although its based on delicious vegetables, its often filled with fat and sugar so is not great for a healthy eating plan or if you are trying to lose your pregnancy weight gain.
So recently I decided to try and make a healthier version, without losing the taste.
- 1/4 head of green cabbage
- 1/4 head of red cabbage
- 1/4 head of wombok (Chinese cabbage)
- 3 large carrots
- 1 cup of low fat whole egg mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup of low fat milk
- 2-3 tblsp of white vinegar
- 1/4 cup of Natvia (natural stevia sweetener)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Finely shred each cabbage into thin strands, no longer than 10cm.
2. Julienne the carrots, keeping the skin on to retain nutrients. A V-Slice or Mandolin Grater makes this super quick and easy
3. Mix all vegetables together in a large bowl.
4. Mix mayonnaise, milk, 2 tblsp of vinegar, Natvia, garlic powder and half of the lemon juice in a jug until smooth.
5. Taste dressing and add remaining vinegar, lemon juice as needed. Season to taste.
6. Mix dressing through vegetables and let it sit for a few hours. This will soften the vegetables a little bit and allow them to soak up all of the flavour.
Done! Eat and enjoy. This recipe easily serves 6.
And don’t forget to check out our current promotions and discounts page to see what specials we have on this week on our Healthy Mummy product range