Losing pregnancy weight can be a challenging prospect for many women because busy, active mums require energy to breastfeed, look after kids, work and generally ‘run the world’.
As a result, mothers need to include filling, nutritious snacks into their healthy eating plan to ensure their energy levels don’t drop to dangerously low levels, which isn’t good for overall health, metabolic function or sustainable weight loss.
Regular snacking helps to regulate blood sugar levels, balance the metabolism and stave off cravings, and these delicious Coco-Vanilla Protein Bites are a great snacking option the whole family will love.
Packed with nuts and coconut, these tasty bites are high in protein (an essential part of most weight loss plans) and don’t require baking so are super quick to prepare.
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup cashews
- A large pinch of cinnamon
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- Substitute the almonds and cashews for macadamia nuts or walnuts
- Maple syrup can be used instead of honey
- Put the nuts and 1 and a half cups of shredded coconut into a blender and blend until the nuts are fine and the mix combined.
- Transfer the nut and coconut mix into a large bowl and fold through the coconut flour, coconut oil, honey, cinnamon and vanilla extract.
- Take a small handful of the mixture and roll into small balls.
- Spread the extra shredded coconut out onto a chopping board or baking paper, and roll the balls in the coconut.
- Arrange the balls on a baking tray and place in the fridge or freezer for an hour.
- Serve once set, and keep leftovers in the fridge (or freezer) in a container.
Serves: 25. Calories per serve: 135 (per ball)