There’s no need for burgers to be restricted to weekends only.
Why not pop a healthy burger on the menu this week?
Loaded with salad and veggies on a wholegrain roll, a burger can be on the agenda even when you are trying to lose weight.
Today we have a classic beef burger recipe for you, as well as some ideas for adding some extra flavour along the way.
Plus some great side dishes that will delight the family (and they don’t need to know it’s all healthy).
Classic Burger Ingredients:
- 500g good quality minced beef
- 2 onions, peeled and very finely diced
- 4 slices wholemeal bread, whizzed into breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- Olive oil spray
- Place mince, onion, breadcrumbs, seasoning and egg into a bowl and mix together with your hands.
- Form into 6 patties and place on a large tray.
- Cover and chill for an hour to firm up.
- Heat a BBQ or frying pan on high heat and spray with olive oil.
- Turn down a little bit and cook the burgers until golden brown on each side, around 3-4 minutes each side.
- Serve with your favourite salad fillings (think tomato, beetroot, lettuce) on a toasted wholegrain roll.
Serves: 6. Calories per serve: 242 (burger patty only).
Just for fun, why not consider adding these mix-ins to the burger mixture before forming the patties?
- Chopped up jalapenos
- Finely chopped mushrooms
- Thinly sliced chilli
- Crumbled goat’s cheese
- Grated Parmesan cheese