Here’s a simple dish that will save you money (and calories) at the take away.
A healthy Asian inspired Pad Thai is a great way to pack in lots of healthy vegetables as well as some nutritious seafood.
Shellfish such as prawns are a low calorie and low fat option for a healthy meal.
They are also high in protein, which is an important component of any weight loss plan.
Tailor this dish to suit you and your family. You may want to mix it up by using beef or chicken instead of the prawns, then adding your favourite crispy vegetables to match.
Also play around with the choice of nuts – pistachios or cashews also taste great.
The chilli in this recipe is a great flavour boost, and has been shown to be a metabolism boosting food.
- 200g rice noodles
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Olive oil spray
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 400g peeled prawns
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped (to taste)
- 1 large brown onion, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- Small bunch of Asian greens, such as bok choy or choy sum chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp of oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 lemon, quartered, to serve
- ¼ cup peanuts, to serve
- 2 cups bean sprouts, to serve
- Cook the rice noodles according to the packet directions.
- Heat a frying pan over med/high heat and spray with olive oil.
- Pour in the beaten eggs and spread over the pan to cover the base.
- Use a spatula to roll the egg into a tube. When cooked, set aside and cut into 8 pieces.
- Now heat the tablespoon of oil in the same pan.
- Add the garlic, onion, chilli and prawns, and cook until the prawns are slightly golden.
- Add the rest of the vegetables. Pour in half a cup of water and pop the lid on to steam the vegetables for several minutes.
- Remove the lid and add the oyster sauce, fish sauce, lime juice and the cooked noodles.
- Mix well until combined.
- Place into four bowls and add the cooked egg, bean sprouts, peanuts and lemon wedges.
Need to stock up on Healthy Mummy Smoothies? Then see our shop here
And join our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenges here