Here’s a new way to roast a chicken and it makes a lovely sauce to serve with it.
The chicken is baked whole, in a pot, with milk. Yes it does sound odd, and yes the lemon does separate the milk but fear not! It is meant to do that and it is so delicious.
We served it with a sweet potato and carrot mash, corn on the cob and some peas.
You could also throw some veggies in the oven to bake at the same time as the chicken.
The chicken is super tender and my toddler absolutely loved it and kept saying ‘yum, yum’ while he was eating it!
The parsley really helps to freshen up the sauce before serving. If you don’t have any, use any fresh herbs you have on hand such as thyme, coriander or mint.
- 1 whole chicken, approx 1.5-1.8kg
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups milk
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 10 garlic cloves, whole and unpeeled (or use 4 tsp minced garlic)
- 3 tbsp chopped thyme
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp dried sage (or 1 tbsp fresh)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped, to serve
- Heat your oven to 190C while you prepare the chicken.
- Find a pot with a lid that will can snugly fit the chicken in.
- Heat the oil in this pot and then brown the chicken all over.
- Remove the chicken and drain the oil.
- Place the chicken back in with the lemon, garlic, thyme, cinnamon, sage and seasoning.
- Pour the milk into the bottom of the pot.
- Place the lid on and cook the chicken for approximately 90 minutes.
- Every 30 minutes, remove the chicken and baste it in the sauce (just tip the pot to one side and ladle some of the sauce over the chicken to keep it moist).
- Remove the chicken from the oven and allow to rest for a few minutes.
- Place the chicken onto a board or serving platter.
- Squeeze the garlic cloves and discard the skins. Mash slightly to release the flavours.
- Stir the fresh parsley through the sauce in the pot. Place the sauce in a jug to serve alongside the chicken.
Serves: 4-6. Calories per serve: 455 (based on approx 200g of meat per person).
GET YOUR 10% DISCOUNT
If you are ready to lose weight then the Lose Baby Weight plans offer a healthy and safe exercise and diet routine and you can get a 10% discount by using code LOYALTY at the checkout
PLUS our BEST SELLING 28 Day Diet & Exercise Plan is available as a 200pg Printed Book and you can get your copy here
Plus our NEW CALORIE BIBLE is now available – get your copy today! Only $19.95 and a must have in your handbag!
Click HERE to see our shop