If you don’t eat certain foods, can’t always budget for every ingredient in a recipe or don’t like the taste of something, then it’s ok to make food swaps, as long as they’re healthy ones of course.
Here are some food swap suggestions to show you how you can make the meal plans from the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge your own if you want to:
- Instead of lamb cutlets use lamb steak (100g is approx 208cal) or lamb loin chops (100g is approx 224cal).
- Instead of fresh salmon or barramundi use a firm white fish that’s on special e.g. ling fillets are often a lot cheaper per kilo (100g is approx 90cal).
- If you don’t like seafood then skinless chicken breast (100g is approx 110cal) is usually a good swap and often works with the same flavours as those in seafood recipes.
- Instead of prawns use fish fillets or chicken breast.
- Lean beef rump steak is usually well priced compared with other beef cuts but another option if your budget is tight is to purchase a lean beef roast like topside (100g is approx 125cal) and cut it into individual steaks to freeze. Buying in bulk like this is often less expensive.
- Instead of ricotta use low fat cottage cheese (100g is approx 85cal). You don’t have to use the low fat versions if you don’t want to, just allow for the differences in calories to stick within your daily guidelines.
- With fruits and vegetables you can easily make swaps to suit what’s in season or on special. Swap snow peas for beans (100g is approx 45cal) or swap sweet potato for carrots (100g is approx 40cal).
- Instead of purchasing different varieties of nuts and seeds, just stick to one or two that you like as then you can purchase them in bulk to save money.
Most of the recipes in the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge can simply have the ingredients you don’t like or can’t budget for, substituted for something you’d prefer.
Read our time and money saving tips for the 28 Day Challenge too to get more ideas about how you can shop to suit your budget and how to make the meal plans work for your tastes and lifestyle.
Need to stock up on Healthy Mummy Smoothies? Then see our shop here