Salmon is always delicious, but it somehow tastes that much better in summer. Whether it’s the memory of fish and chips at the beach or lazy December BBQ’s, this oily fish really seems to play a starring role in the warmer months.
And why wouldn’t it? The combination of protein, vitamins and minerals, makes it the perfect healthy eating option. It’s also one of the best foods for weight loss as it keeps you feeling full for longer, staving off the great biccie tin grab or after dinner Tim Tam hunt.
The area where salmon really trounces other protein sources? Omega-3s. These essential fatty acids are a key ingredient for healthy brain and body functioning, and with a level 10-100 times higher than beef, chicken or lamb, salmon packs a serious punch.
Those with a baby on board or mothers following a breastfeeding diet, will find adding salmon to their plate even more beneficial as consumption of omega-3s has been found to positively impact healthy growth and development, particularly in the brain and vision department, in unborn, newborn and young babies.
This delicious, Thai inspired dish is super easy to prepare and can be on the table in under 60 minutes. The combination of citrus juice, garlic and soy sauce creates the perfect balance of sweet and savoury, while crunchy lemongrass adds a yummy, low calorie topping.
- 2 salmon fillets (skin on or off)
- 5 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 tbsp. lime or lemon juice (freshly squeezed or from a bottle)
- 4 tbsp. salt reduced soy sauce
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, rinsed
- 2 cups of brown or basmati rice
- Pre-heat oven to 170 C
- Combine olive oil, lime/lemon juice, soy sauce, garlic and honey
in a bowl and set aside
- Select a baking tray with an edge (to prevent the sauce from running off) and place salmon fillets, skin side down, on tray
- Pour sauce evenly across fillets
- With a pair of sharp scissors, slice lemongrass directly onto salmon fillets
- Cover tray with aluminium foil and place in oven
- Cook rice according to packet instructions
- Cook for 20 minutes, covered, then remove foil for the next 10-15 minutes, depending on how well done you like your salmon
- Serve on top of rice with a squeeze of lemon/lime juice
If you are ready to lose weight then the Lose Baby Weight plans offer a healthy and safe exercise and diet routine that are safe in breastfeeding
And don’t forget to check out our current promotions and discounts page to see what specials we have on this week on our Healthy Mummy product range