If you’re looking for a quick, healthy midweek meal, while trying to lose weight look no further than the salmon fishcake.
Fish, especially the oily variety, is an important food to include in your diet.
When you’re under the pump though, it can be a tricky item to prepare quickly.
Especially when you’re looking for a way that will appeal to the whole family!
Fish cakes are a great all-in-one meal, as they combine salmon, an excellent source of protein which is essential for healthy weight loss, Omega 3’s for healthy brain function, and complex carbs, which we all need for energy.
Traditionally, patties like these were made with regular potato mash and pan fried, upping both the calories and GI of the meal.
Replacing standard potato with sweet potato lowers the GI which helps you to eat less as your body will feel full sooner and eat less.
While oven baking removes the need for any frying or extra oil.
Adding grated veggies helps you get your 5 a day in, while using herbs for flavour eliminates the need for salt and other preservatives.
The end result? A tasty, super nutritious low fat lunch or dinner.
- 400g tin of red or pink salmon
- Large sweet potato, washed, peeled and diced into cubes
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup grated zucchini
- 1/4 cup canned sweet corn kernels, drained
- Handful of fresh dill or 2 tsp dried dill
- Pre-heat oven to 200C
- Steam sweet potato however you choose – In the microwave, steaming basket or a vegetable steamer
- When potato is cooled, place in a large bowl. Use a fork to thoroughly mash, removing any visible lumps.
- Add salmon, veggies and dill to the bowl.
- Use your hands to roll mixture into golf ball sized balls before flattening into patties.
- Line a baking tray or sheet with non-stick baking paper.
- Place patties, evenly spaced, on the tray.
- Cook for 35-40 minutes, turning at the halfway point.
- Serve with a big green salad, steamed veggies or a combination of the two.
Makes 10-12 cakes – Calories per cake – 130
If you are ready to lose weight then the Lose Baby Weight plans offer a healthy and safe exercise and diet routine.
And don’t forget to check out our current promotions and discounts page to see what specials we have on this week on our Healthy Mummy product range