Soups are one of the best meals to include in your healthy eating plan when you want to lose pregnancy weight.
Packed with fresh vegetables, spices and herbs, soups are nutritional powerhouses bursting with fibre, antioxidants and minerals, and if you avoid ingredients like cream, butter, bacon and croutons you can include soups in your diet frequently, especially during the winter months.
This recipe for Ginger and Carrot Soup is an ideal winter dinner or lunch option, and carries loads of anti-inflammatory ingredients.
Carrots, ginger and turmeric are all known for their anti-inflammatory properties. Inflammation in the body and the digestive system has been linked to many chronic illnesses including diabetes and heart disease.
Another bonus to this soup – it’s freezer-friendly so can be made in advance, making it perfect for those hectic days when you don’t have time to prepare a meal.
- 8 medium sized carrots, chopped into very small pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons of grated ginger
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- 1 sprig of fresh parsley, for presentation
- Half a cup of reduced fat Greek Yoghurt
- Cracked pepper
- Third of cup of slivered almonds or chopped whole almonds
- Replace 3 of the carrots with a small-medium sized sweet potato
- Before serving, choose to sprinkle with some chopped or dried chilli for some extra heat
- Spring onions can be used instead of the brown onion
- Top with fresh coriander instead of parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or pot, add the onion and garlic, and cook for 2-3 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add the chopped carrots and cook for a further 4-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer covered for 15-20 minutes.
- Add ginger and turmeric, and cook for another 8 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let stand until the soup has cooled down a little.
- Pour the soup into a blender and blend until smooth (you may need to do this in separate batches depending on how large your blender is).
- Pour the pureed soup back into the saucepan and heat through on a low-medium heat until hot.
- Serve soup in bowls with some parsley, cracked pepper and almonds scattered on top.
- Serve alongside a serving of Greek yoghurt, which can be applied to the soup just as it’s served.
Serves: 4. Calories per serve: 202
GET YOUR 10% DISCOUNT
If you are ready to lose weight then the Lose Baby Weight plans offer a healthy and safe exercise and diet routine and you can get a 10% discount by using code LOYALTY at the checkout
PLUS our BEST SELLING 28 Day Diet & Exercise Plan is available as a 200pg Printed Book and you can get your copy here
Plus our NEW CALORIE BIBLE is now available – get your copy today! Only $19.95 and a must have in your handbag!
Click HERE to see our shop