Lasagne is an excellent all-in-one dish as it combines protein, veggies, carbohydrates and calcium in one serving.
However, Lasagne is usually high in fat and calories so usually not a great choice if you are trying to lose pregnancy weight or following a healthy eating plan, but a few clever substitutes in this recipe help to cut out the bad stuff.
Spinach and mushrooms replace some of the meat in this recipe (it also uses turkey mince), adding flavour, protein and fibre but cutting lots of calories and fat. This lasagne is super filling so all you need to serve it with is a big green salad.
Low Fat Lasagne
- 9 fresh lasagne sheets (if using dried blanch them for 2 minutes in hot water first)
- 200g lean turkey mince
- 300g baby spinach leaves
- 200g mushrooms
- 1 small onion
- 1 small carrot
- 1 small celery stalk
- 1 tbsp. tomato puree
- 1 x 400g chopped tomatoes with garlic and herbs
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp. each dried oregano, marjoram and basil
- 2 egg whites
- 250ml skim milk
- 250g half fat ricotta cheese
- 50g grated parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- Cooking spray
- Beat the egg whites with the ricotta and 200ml of the milk. Stir in half the parmesan and the nutmeg and leave to sit whilst you prepare the meat ragu.
- Dice the onion, carrot and celery stalk. Thinly slice the mushrooms. Heat cooking spray in a large frying pan and add the onion, carrot and celery. Cook for 10-15 minutes until golden and sweet. Add the turkey mince and fry until browned. Drain off any fat. Add the remaining milk and simmer for 3-4 minutes until reduced.
- Add the tomato puree. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the chopped tomatoes, bay leaf, oregano, marjoram, basil and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 30 minutes, then stir in the spinach and mushrooms and simmer for a further 10 minutes. Remove the bay leaf. Taste and add more herbs/salt and pepper if needed.
- Spread 1/3 of the meat sauce in a medium oven dish. Top with 3 lasagne sheets and 1/3 of the cheese mixture. Repeat in that order, finishing with a layer of the cheese mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining parmesan cheese.
- Bake the lasagne in a 190C oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
Recipe serves 6. Calories per serving: 256, fat per serving: 5.8g.
Take part in the 28 Day Challenge
Don’t delay – join literally THOUSANDS of mums on the challenge and get access to over 1000 healthy, delicious, family friendly recipes. PLUS customisable meal plans, printable shopping lists and 28 days of at home exercises for busy mums – you can read all about it here and see how it works.
Candice Lost 32kgs* with the 28 Day Challenges
Candice says: “I joined the 28 Day challenges membership in July and have also seen great results on this – it is a fantastic challenge I’m starting to see some real muscle definition and overall toning.
I love that the challenge exercises are so versatile. I can do them at home with very minimal equipment and at any time of the day, before the kids wake up, or even after they go to bed. I’m also loving the new option where we can print out all the exercises in one go – it means I can have them ready at the start of the week and don’t even have to muck around turning the computer on and getting everything ready.”
You won’t regret it!