When You Are Eating On The Go
With our busy lifestyles, I come across many people who are eating meals on the go, whether it be whilst driving, out for a walk, at the shops or at their desk. If you don’t have a plan you will end up with poor eating habits and despite training 5 days a week – you will not lose a thing!
- Plan a 7 day menu (or use our 28 Day Diet & Exercise Plan Menu), including snacks, made up from a healthy balance of complex carbs, lean protein and healthy fats. As a guideline plan for 3 main meals and 2 snacks.
- Complex carbs include brown rice, oats, whole grain bread, barley, millet, quinoa, buckwheat and amaranth, include one at each meal.
- For a snack try a piece of fruit containing complex carbs – these fruits will keep you fuller for longer try: apricots, pears, plums, oranges, grapefruits and prunes.
- Soy milk made from soy beans is also a complex carb and lean protein in one, try having a soy smoothie as a snack or meal, such as “The Healthy Mummy Smoothie’.
- Lean proteins include: boneless, skinless free range chicken breast, grass fed sirloin steak, wild salmon or tuna, free range eggs (maximum 3 daily), cottage or ricotta cheese, navy, pinto or black beans, and whey protein concentrate or isolate. Include these in each snack and main meal.
- Healthy fats derived from plants are a healthy alternative to saturated animal fats. The best ones include: coconut oil, flaxseed meal, extra virgin olive oil, avocado, almonds, walnuts, pepitas and chia seeds. Add these to your meals for extra satiety – the Healthy Mummy Smoothie also has added pepitas and flaxseed meal as an added bonus.
- Try not to skip meals, this will happen if you haven’t prepared properly at the start of the week. Skipping a meal will cause your blood sugar to drop too low and may create a tendency to overeat at your next meal.
- Plan to eat every 3-4 hours to keep your blood sugar levels stable, and to keep your metabolism at an optimal rate – see lots of snacking ideas here
- Keep track of your eating habits in a diet diary, this will help you to stay on track and retain motivation which is key if weight loss is your goal. Try using the free members area and tracking tool here
In conclusion set aside a whole day to do your healthy grocery shop for the week, or if you don’t have time, use one of the online organic delivery companies- such as ‘abundant organics’. Having healthy food at hand makes it much easier to resist junk food and takeaways!
Written by Elisha Danine Adv. Dip. Nut. Medicine
If you would like to write for the Lose Baby Weight site please click here for details
And don’t forget to check out our current promotions and discounts page to see what specials we have on this week on our Healthy Mummy product range